Thursday, September 29, 2011

~what's it to ya?

How often do we find ourselves caught up in talking about others? If we're honest, the answer is probably, all too often. We shouldn't feel the need to discuss insignificant things about other people. That is gossip. And it is hurtful.

I've never agreed with the little saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me," yes, it my feel empowering to say, but it's not true. Words can hurt. Words can have such power in them and that's why I'm so enthralled with them. They have the ability to encourage and to discourage, to share truth and to spread lies, to comfort or bring discomfort.

But gossiping aside, how often do we find ourselves so consumed in thought about what other people are up to, or do we find ourselves with a mindset of judgment? We may be very good about keeping our lips sealed when we are tempted to gossip, but what's happening in our minds?

When gossiping or the wrong mindset towards others becomes a struggle, it's difficult, but it's best if I ask myself "what's it to me?" That very thing about that person, that thing they did or said, that I feel the need to talk about or toil over, what's it to me?

Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
-John 21: 20 & 22

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to drop you a note and say, I have missed your view on things, your encouragement, your pointing us readers to Christ! I hope all is well with you Kara Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the convicting blog post, dear. I especially love the Bible verse at the end, it fits perfectly! Keep blogging, Kara!

    ReplyDelete